Tubal reversal is a procedure that reverses a tubal ligation, i.e., having your tubes tied. Tubal ligation is a procedure wherein the fallopian tubes are cut, tied, and blocked to prevent the sperm from fertilizing the eggs, thereby preventing pregnancies. A tubal reversal does the opposite — the fallopian tubes are reconnected, and all blockages (clips or plastic rings) are removed. This restores your ability to get pregnant. Approximately 1% of all tubal ligations are eventually reversed, and approximately 50-80% of tubal reversals lead to successful pregnancies.
What is Tubal Reversal?
You’re a Candidate for Tubal Reversal if You…
- Want to “untie” your fallopian tubes.
- Want to try getting pregnant now or in the future.
- Had a tubal sterilization that leaves room for reversal — some procedures can’t be reversed.
- Have plenty of healthy fallopian tube tissues left.
- Aren’t obese or overweight, factors that reduce the chance of success.
- Don’t have underlying medical conditions, like autoimmune disorders, that affect your ability to get pregnant.
- Don’t have other fertility issues that affect your ability to get pregnant.
Recovering from Your Tubal Reversal
Laparoscopic tubal reversal is a minimally invasive outpatient procedure — you can return home approximately three hours after the surgery. The recovery process takes approximately one week. You’ll experience pain and tenderness around the incision sites, manageable with pain medications. You might experience shoulder pains for a few days, which can be relieved by lying down. You’ll have to wait at least 48 hours before bathing, and you must avoid rubbing the incisions. The surgeon will also advise against strenuous workouts and sexual intercourse for a few weeks.
Why Choose Dr. Bonni?
Dr. Aram Bonni is double board-certified in female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery, and he specializes in the latest laparoscopic techniques for tubal reversals. He uses advanced techniques to provide the desired results with minimal downtime and negligible risk of complications. Please schedule a consultation with Dr. Bonni to discuss your tubal reversal options.